Just in time for beach season, May is National Bike Month! Bike to Work Week is May 14-18, highlighted by Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 18. Leave the car at home and get some much-needed exercise, even if it’s only for one day. Celebrate cycling by organizing a charitable bike ride or fun event for your friends, family and co-workers. You can participate in the wide variety of organized bike events that raise money for charity and teach your community about the health benefits of bike riding. Here’s how you get your co-workers to participate in Bike to Work Day:
- Send an office email: “I’m riding my bike to the office on Friday, if you’d like to join me. Let’s all meet for breakfast and ride together, we can even wear our company shirts! Anyone interested, please let me know.”
- If you are a business owner, incentivize your employees to participate by offering to donate a specific amount to a favorite charity for everyone who rides.
- See if your office will organize a “breakfast of champions” for everyone who arrives to work on their bike.
- Put your pedal to the medal with your children and ride your bike to school with them. Organize a convoy with some of the other parents and kids in the area. Make it a family affair.
- Offer employees a few different route options by highlighting scenic bike trails on the way to the office and the most cyclist-friendly roads in your area.
- Plan your response to the naysayers. Inevitably, there will be people who will find every reason in the book why they can’t commute via bike— they’re out of shape, the ride is too far, the weather forecast, they have bad knees, there’s no shower at work. Arm yourself with solutions and then remind them that it’s just one day.
If you are in the market for a new bike for you or your kids, check out the following stores at the DubLi Shopping Mall:
[title text=”Huffy Boys Pro Thunder 20 BMX Bike”]
Huffy Boys Pro Thunder 20 BMX Bike: The Pro Thunder from Huffy features trendy, layered graphics on a durable blue steel frame. The saddle seat is cushioned for comfort, and you can adjust the height as your child grows. Available at Target (1% Cashback) and eSportsOnline.
[title text=”Schwinn Discovery 700c Ladies Comfort Bike”]
Schwinn Discovery 700c Ladies Comfort Bike: This Schwinn women’s bicycle, a versatile city bike for commuting, touring and more is outfitted with an aluminum city frame, an SR Suntour suspension fork to absorb shock and a padded saddle with a suspension seat post. Available at Sears (0.7% Cashback), YoYo.com (1.3% Cashback) and Newegg (0.3% Cashback).
[title text=”GMC Denali 21-Speed Men’s Road Bike”]
The GMC Denali 21-Speed Men’s Road Bike is built around a lightweight aluminum road bike frame. You’ll stop on a dime with the strong alloy calipers and ultra-responsive brake levers. Superior performance is guaranteed by the high-profile, attractive alloy wheels. Available at Target (1% Cashback) and Sears (0.7% Cashback)